At Kingsweston School we try to arrange external work experience placements for as many pupils as possible to meet the varying needs of our young people.
Kat Waller (Transition's mentor) meets each young person individually and with their family, discussing their interests and motivators, she will then try to arrange an appropriate placement.
Work experience is a fantastic opportunity for confidence building, giving our pupils a chance to prepare for leaving school and participating in work within new environments with unfamiliar people. It prepares pupils for a life beyond the school community learning travel skills, time keeping and developing communication and interaction with others.
We have a contract with Education Business Partnership - South West, who have a database of approved work experience providers and will also visit and approve any new placements that we find.
Here's some examples of our pupils 'getting stuck in' over the last couple of years:
We also arrange work experience placements for groups of pupils. This way we can offer pupils extra support from our School Staff and transport them with our school mini bus. We took 9 pupils to Elm Tree Farm in Stapleton for a fantastic week.
We have a fantastic offer for in-school work-experience too for some of our most complex young people who are not yet ready to experience a different setting.
The following companies and organisations have kindly offered work experience placements for our pupils:
- Avon Riding Centre For The Disabled
- Barn Cafe @ Grimsbury Farm
- Bigg Media; Shirehampton
- Brandon Trust Elm Tree Farm & retail shops on Gloucester Road & Whiteladies Road
- Bristol City Council Parks Maintenance; Sea Mills Depot
- Bristol Rovers Community Trust
- Café On The Square Sea Mills
- City Of Bristol College IT Team, Ashley Down Centre
- CLIC Sargent Shirehampton
- Co-operative Food; Downend
- Filton Avenue Infant School
- Fonthill Primary School
- Hartcliffe Community Farm
- Henbury Pet and Garden Supplies
- I-RAS Solutions; Bristol
- Kingsweston Events, Kingsweston House
- Lawrence Weston Community Farm
- Noah’s Ark Zoo Farm
- North Bristol Food Bank
- RM Education
- Shirehampton Park Golf Club
- Shirehampton Primary School
- Smart Sports Coaching
- St Monica Trust IT Team
- Tesco; Eastgate Centre
- Thales Alenia Space
- Travelling Light Theatre Company
- Waitrose; Henleaze
Once again, many thanks to them all for their support. We look forward to working together in the future.